Dogs are “man’s best friend” for a reason. They’re clever, unfailingly loyal, and have amazing personalities. They race to greet you when you come home, and they are always sure to tell you that they missed you while you were gone (regardless if you were gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours). National Dog Day honours family dogs and dogs that work selflessly to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their best foot forward ever day – for their law enforcement partner, for their companions who need some assistance, and doing incredible search and rescue work, just to mention a few of their talents. Regardless if your dog has a formal job or not, they look at you and forever have a place in your heart. For all those reasons and many more, the phrase “going to the dogs” meaning things are going downhill isn’t in my vocabulary.
Today is National Dog Day, an annual observance with the goal of honoring your pups and spreading awareness about rescue dogs. Started by pet expert Colleen Paige, National Dog Day is held every year on August 26 — the anniversary of the day she adopted her first canine.
National Dog Day celebrates all breeds, pure and mixed and serves to help remind the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, either from public shelters, rescues and pure breed rescues. Not that you can’t or shouldn’t on any other day of the year, but today is a good day to donate to your local shelter, volunteer with animals or simply cuddle up to your furry friend.
Until I can get home and tell my furry girl that she’s amazing and give her a big hug like I do every day, I leave you with a few famous quotes about pooches.
- “Whoever said you can’t buy happiness forgot little puppies.” — Gene Hill
- “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” ― Mark Twain
- “Buy a pup and your money will buy love unflinching.” — Rudyard Kipling
- “If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” — Woodrow Wilson
- “A hound will die for you, but never lie to you.” ― George R.R. Martin
- “If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.” ― James Thurber
- “What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”—Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “Happiness is a warm puppy.” ― Charles M. Schulz
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” ― Josh Billings
- “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.” ― Christopher Morley
- “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” ― M.K. Clinton